I'm so sorry guys - this is going to be a super short post because it's late, and I'm trying to outrun a migraine.
But this weeks episode is fueled by paranoia and douchebaggary.
Morgana flips shit because she has a dream about Arthur crowning Gwen queen. Morgana cries to Morgause and Morgause tells her it was a true dream and to fix this crap.
Morgana decides to play evil matchmaker between Arthur and Gwen - encouraging them to get together. So Arthur invites Gwen on a romantic picnic and Gwen agrees once Merlin convinces her that it's a great idea.
And this happens.
So this happens, too.
Uther asks Gaius if the little hex bag looks magical and if it could be used to enchant someone. Cand Gaius, dumbass that he is, says yes, knowing what's at stake. Gwen is accused of sorcery and thrown into the dungeon to be burned at the stake the next morning.
Merlin comes up with the plan of providing another sorcerer on which the blame can fall, thus clearing Gwen. So he uses a spell to age himself - becoming Dragoon.
Gaius uses his magical chemistry skills and stays up all night creating an antidote. As Dragoon is being led to the stake, Gaius motions that he's got the antidote, so Merlin creates a diversion by yelling at Uther and then escaping his guards, grabbing the potion from Gaius and distracting the crowd by using magic to make the stake and all the wood erupt in a huge fireball.
He escapes into the castle, drinks the potion and turns back into himself right before Arthur finds him and demands to know where the sorcerer went and why Merlin was at the tavern. There's also a threat of punishment before Arthur tries to track down Dragoon.
Okay...now for the questions.
1. If I’d written this episode...I would have made Gwen and Arthur question the whole Dragoon situation a little more carefully. I mean, they both knew they weren't enchanted and he basically ended up saving Gwen, wouldn't they wonder about that at least a little?
2. The thing I loved/hated most about this episode. Loved: This right here.
Hated: Uther's callous assumption that the servants exist to be banged.
3. Something you’ve never noticed about this episode before. How creepy the vibe is between Morgana and Uther when she's begging him to go riding with her. It's this weird little girlish begging and he's sort of indulging her like he would a mistress. It just sat wrong with me.
4. Favorite Costume. Dragoon, of course.
5. Here is Proof of some random head canon I’ve created. I didn't create it, but Merlin and Arthur's true love. Arthur thinks Dragoon's eyes look familiar, so some part of him recognizes Merlin.
6. What Merthur moment did Jess have the naughtiest thoughts about? See above, though that's sweet and not naughty. And I'm sure she had an entirely different punishment in mind for Arthur to mete out to Merlin. Something that involves spanking, I'm sure.
7. What made Jen lose her shit (in a good or bad way) in a bad way? The fact that Gaius was all, "Yep, sire. Looks magical to me." when Gwen's life was on the line.