Monday, August 27, 2012

Where's science when I need it?

Summer's ending. It feels like autumn is rolling toward me like that big rock in the first Indiana Jones movie.

My oldest son, Killian, is starting college today. (I'm totally crying on the inside. Okay, probably a little on the outside, too.) It's not that I want him to be a kid forever, it's just that I want to have a rewind button, where I can go back and visit his being a kid whenever I'm having a day like today.

Seriously, science...is that too damn much to ask?!

My youngest son, Corwin, will be starting high school next week. (Please see the aforementioned crying and need of a rewind button.) I would give just about anything to play pirate ship right now.

But honestly, I know I have nothing to actually bitch about. I have great kids who are healthy and happy, and I know it's more than some parents have, so really, I shouldn't whine.

We're trying to get ready for hubby to go to Singapore for a freaking month. I'm not a fan of the Dance of the Single Parent. It's not because I can't do it alone. I can, just fine, as a matter of fact. But we really miss him while he's gone. And I know he misses us, too.

I'm still trying to get used to my sister being gone. As it stands now, we probably won't see each other until after Christmas, because that's just the way life's working out. It's not like we can't talk or text, or email, but it's not the same as hanging out together.

I'm also trying to come to terms with dying relatives - relatives for whom an entire set of matching, monogrammed emotional baggage is included.  

Add in the stress of conference prep, and I'm just about fried.

So I'll just be here, trying to outrun that big ass boulder and waiting for science to catch up with my need for a rewind button.

C'mon, science! I'm counting on you!

4 comments:

Margaret Yang said...

((((Hugs))))

Me too.

Theresa said...

I feel your pain. I have three kids, ages six, four, and two. It seems they are growing up so fast, and my two-year-old is talking now. Every time I hear a parent saying how their children are in high school or collage, my throat tightens over the idea of sending my oldest off to her first day of freshman year. *gasp* I can't even stand the thought. I try to get as many kisses as I can out of my little Lina (youngest), while she's still go pucker up and go "MMUUUAAHHH" rather than roll her eyes and say, "Come on, Mom, stop being gross." I hope that'll never, ever happen. *sob sob*

I'm sorry to hear about your ill relatives. A few of our family members have passed this year, and it's never easy.

I'm right behind you in the "waiting for science" line. Kids grow up too fast.

Bronwyn Green said...

@ Margaret - if I ever get that rewind button, I'll share it with you.

@ Chris - Thanks, honey.

@ Theresa - Keep getting those kisses! Luckily, mine, even though they're giant man-boys, will still give hugs. :)

And I'm so sorry about the losses in your family. *Hugs*

The Wizard said...

I'm in a situation like yours, except I'm the sibling in Australia; and I won't be seeing my sisters until September 2013! And that's if they can get the time off to come and see me right away!

But I choose to see it as you do- I'm in a better position to contact friends and family than anyone abroad would have been even ten years ago.