Friday, August 24, 2012

Introducing Anya Breton (who, by the way, is awesome!)

It's been a while since I've done an author interview on here, but I met this wonderful woman on the Twitterz and had to lure her over to the blog. She writes erotic romance along with some YA and she cracks me up. See? It's win-win-win! And as a bonus win, she's giving away a e-copy of her latest release A's Surrender out with Siren Publishing and part of the Randy's Diner series. (Directions for entering will be posted after the interview, but for now, let's get to know Anya!


What are you working on at the moment?
I’m editing my paranormal erotic romances for the Hex Appeal line coming in October from Ellora’s Cave and also working on book three of Randy’s Diner.

What do you like best about being a writer?  What do you like least?
I like writing best LOL. I like just about everything else least (synopsis, blurbs, hooks, submissions, all that!).

What would you do if you weren’t a writer?
I don’t have the luxury of writing fulltime. My day job is web design. That’s what I’d do if I weren’t a writer ;)

Of all of the characters you’ve created, who is your favorite and why?
My favorite would probably be a secondary character in my Lore series, Oneiric—he’s Boston’s First (a vampire city ruler) and the lead singer of an emo band. He’s charismatic and flawed. I like him because I could toss him into just about any situation and it would be fun to write.

What genre of books least appeals to you and why?
Non-fiction. I read to escape. Living life is about as much reality as I want to take.

If that’s a copout, then in terms of fiction, I’ve never been able to get into Westerns or high fantasy. I’m a fairly lazy person and high fantasy generally requires brainpower. Westerns…I’m just not into spurs and cowboys.  

(I feel the same way about cowboy books!)

Do you listen to music when you write or do you need quiet?  If you listen to music – what kind?
Yes, I’m always listening to music when I write! Ambient noises distract me and the house is never quiet.
What I listen to depends on what kind of story I’m writing and what I’m in the mood to listen to. I generally create a playlist for each book. Sometimes the playlists include whatever I was obsessed with at the time rather than things that fit the story specifically. Other times I fit the tone of the story—like a story about Fire witches probably includes songs about fire and aggression. My musical taste is broad so I don’t have a simple answer.

Do you family and friends know you write erotic romance – if so, how have they reacted?
Some do. Some don’t. I haven’t volunteered the information but they’ve found out. Reactions have been pretty good so far. I think perhaps they haven’t quite realized what erotic romance is :D

Do you have any bad habits?
I asked my guy for help on this one. He said, “Adopting cats.” :D


(LOL - My husband would say the same thing!)

Do you have any pet peeves?

Most of my pet peeves these days are commute-related because I commute two hours a day to the day job. The big one would be people who drive (slow) in the passing lane. And the people who speed up when you close in on them and/or slow down after they’ve passed you. Drives me bonkers!

What do you like about where you live?
A question I feel qualified to answer! I’ve moved over twenty times between six states in my life so far. I can say without a doubt that cost of living here is cheap. We have a decent number of shops and restaurants around without the city being too congested. And we can day trip to many different awesome locations. I’ve even come to love the countless fields of corn.

If you could travel back in time, would you? If so, what time period would you visit and why?
I’m going to be completely annoying here. I like the idea of eras past in theory but in practice, not so much. Two periods come to mind for visiting. The first would be to zip back to watch one of William Shakespeare’s play at the Globe theater in Elizabethan England—and then come right back! LOL I wouldn’t want to hang out in that filth and disease-ridden era for longer than a few hours! And I’d also like to attend a Victorian/Edwardian ball—and come right back for the same reason.

Angel or Spike?
Spike.
 
Mal or The Doctor?
Mal.
 
Print book or ebook?
Ebook.

Tell us about your upcoming releases?
Book two in the Randy’s Diner series, A’s Surrender, just released on August 5th with Siren Publishing http://www.bookstrand.com/as-surrender I’d characterize it as a sweet erotica with public spanking :D
My next book isn’t due out until October 5th. It’s called Alpha Exposed and is my first paranormal erotic romance. I’m excited because it’s also my first with Ellora’s Cave. The cover is beautiful and the story (about public sex) is sooo sexy! The male in this one is all Alpha, literally—he’s a weretiger Alpha!

Here’s the blurb for A’s Surrender:
Graduate student Ashley Dixon needs $10,000 to bail her dad out of jail for allegedly robbing an ATM. Randy’s Diner—a place people go to receive “service with little more than a smile”—promises to be the perfect job to earn cash. If only Ashley can get over the scandalous things the waitstaff and customers do over an order of a burger and fries.

DivorcĂ© Oliver Clarke is accustomed to dominating both in his professional life as CIO at a Fortune 1000 company and also in the BDSM scene. He knows he’s found his ideal submissive after one look at the wholesome little waitress inside his favorite diner. First Oliver must rein in his desire before he frightens away his new obsession.

Ashley is faced with a tough choice. Can she accept being Oliver’s slave for cash to free her dad, or will she need more?

For more information, excerpts and links to purchase see: Anya's website.

And if you want to enter, please leave a comment or question for Anya, along with a valid email address so she can contact you if you win! I'll draw a winner on August 31st by noon so enter now!



14 comments:

Lucia said...

looking forward to reading it regardless if I win or not! Liked on FB too! lucy.christie@sympatico.ca

Anya Breton said...

Thanks, Lucy! :)

BA Tortuga said...

Great interview, y'all! :D

LilyElement said...

Great interview! *fangirl wave* Hiiii Anya! :)

Anya Breton said...

Hi, BA & Melissa! *fangirl waves back*

Thanks for the comments :)

Girl From Nowhere said...

Hello Ladies! I'm hesitant to leave my email on open forum (I'm a party pooper, I know!) but just wanted to say great interview!!

Anya Breton said...

Thanks, Rebecca!

Unknown said...

What a great cover!! Very lickable. hehe Anya, you are a new author for me, I can't wait to learn more.
luvfuzzzeeefaces at yahoo dot com

Anonymous said...

tullisjen at yahoo dot com

Can’t wait!

Phuong said...

Enjoyed the interview & blurb! This series sounds like a sexy, fun one to read. Thanks for chance at giveaway.

bookfan0747@aol.com

Kellie St. James said...

Yay for finding new twitter friends! :) Pleased to meet you, Anna! :)

I'm curious to know where you live. You mentioned your long commute and all, just wondering whereabout you're at. ;)

Kel

Anya Breton said...

Thanks, Julianne, Jen and Phuong!

Kel, I'm in central Indiana.

Kris Norris said...

Great interview...love the vision of the endless fields of corn...why I now live where there are mountains...

Anya Breton said...

Ooh, mountains sound nice, Kris! I do miss that part of the east coast.